Sunday

One Step at a Time


 You know things around here have seemed to snowball on us. We've been working on one project after another, trying to finish before our deadlines. 

 

My To Do List is a mile long, some what prioritized for what has to be done NOW. This week was a lot. We needed to get the pasture fence complete. Really it should have been done before- but as I have realized, everything I think will be quick to do, takes hours.


We finally got all of our demolished barn taken apart and moved so that the fence could go through where it was piled. I won't say we are done with that, but it is out of the way for now at least. 

The gate was hung, the wires strung, the charger plugged up, and now we have a 4 strand electric fence up and running, and so far it is containing every one nicely.


Johnny and June are growing nicely. Playing all day, out with all the other goats. We lock them up at night with their mama still. One more week and I can start milking her for our use. I've got my pail, my strainer and my jars ready and waiting. Cheese and Yogurt are on the top of the boys' lists of what they want to do with our fresh milk.


This week's deadline came around on Friday afternoon:


We had to move the goats down to their new, finished pasture in time for the arrival of 6 new boys- Alpacas. 

The 2 below are Two-Socks and Midnight.


They are somewhat fearful creatures, but come around when it is feeding time and will eat out of the kids' hands and not run away. We have 4 Huacaya and 2 Suri. 

The light brown one below is Blaze. The other 2, the two Suri, are still yet to be named.


And the big white guy in the back is Atreyu. He's sort of the leader of the pack. 


And now we can relax a bit. We have a couple more things to do with the animals- build a milking stand, build a stall in the shelter for Johnny and June, and put up our portable shelter we brought with us from our old house. All of that has to get done by next Saturday. And then we can switch focus to the garden and get ready to plant my nearly 300 seedlings in the ground.


2 comments:

  1. Naked alpacas look funny! I can't wait to see what you do with all that luscious wool! It's exciting to see everything you all are doing there. Your farm is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, the baby goats are so cute! I'm sure you'll enjoy the milk, too!

    ReplyDelete