Saturday

Growing Up....

Last night I called Rylan inside from playing. He and the neighbor boy came to the door...with whispers of "ask her...".

"Can I spend the night at Austin's house?"

Is it bad that I felt sad? I have been waiting for a day like this. For my oldest to have a friend he likes enough to go to his house and knock on the door without fear. But I then....Rylan and I spend our nights reading after the younger ones go to bed. He is excited everynight to read and see what Harry Potter will do next. But staying at a friend's is so much more exciting than reading with your mom.

Is it bad that I was secretly happy when I sent Austin home to ask his dad first and he said no? And was happy to read that Harry survived his first task in the Triwizard Tournament.

3 comments:

  1. Nope, I don't blame you one bit. We have been so lucky in that we live in a very rural area, so my kid's friends are a bit down the road from us-although now we have new friends that only live a mile away! Oh, this could be me soon!
    Oh well, they have 5 kids, I'm sure they don't really need an extra one. LOL. But maybe their eldest daughter would want to spend the night here sometime? Hmmmmm, gotta think about that. At least they are fellow homeschoolers!!!! Yay!
    Ok, now I need to take a nap, my brain is goofy this morning....good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This situation is very similar to a chapter in my favorite book, "Mitten Strings for God". She talks about the exact same situation of enjoying her time with the oldest reading at night and then how he progressed to going to a friends house to read instead. If you haven't read the book, I HIGHLY recommend it! :)

    It is hard to let our kids grow up sometimes and then other times we wish they'd grow up just a little bit more. Parenting is such hard work! ;)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete